Friday, November 2, 2007

interplanetary travel is overrated

Interplanetary travel is overrated - there I said it. I love space travel or in my case the idea of space travel, but unless we find a way to travel faster than the speed of light; I think we will be long limited to this solar system. So what does this have to do with me, eCommerce and business; plenty. The point here is one of vision and timing; while it is my firm belief that you have to have a vision and constantly work toward that vision, you must also be realistic and live in the now. Its a tough balance as no great breakthroughs have ever happened just by incremental improvement. As Tom Peter's says; "you have to fail forward fast". The key here is to recognize that you learn from every failure (duh), you have to realize this and move on.

eCommerce and failure; the web gives us a unique ability to measure, measure, measure everything we do; site visits, hits, conversion, etc. It is a living test bed for sales. If you aren't tweaking your commerce site daily or at least have some sort of A/B testing going on at any given time, you are leaving money on the table.

On a more practical note, the new firm is coming along well. I set up the website at
www.steelhammergroup.com, I will have at least a front page done today. I am having business cards printed and I am working to close my first 3 month consulting deal in the next day or so.

To this point, no one has visited my blog yet, or at least has commented on on it. I guess it is like throwing a party and no one shows up. We will see...


Bob

1 comment:

Jose said...

Bob,
I agree with these comments. Many of us (includes myself) spend a lot of time and energy creating and selling visionary ideas. The trap however is that we can get side tracked from what is possible and doable today. Good thoughts!